Thursday, July 20, 2006

Place Names

My family would readily agree that I've always been fascinated with maps. As a child, and even as an adult, I could be pacified for hours by studying a US Road Atlas. Old maps, with long vanished communities, are a particular fascination. Seeing the ways that the roads crisscross the country, watching new roads be drawn in, and then, sadly, watching old communities disappear are things that a "friend of maps" notes with particular interest.

Travelling out West, one finds any number of interesting place names. Gerard Manley Hopkins liked to record new words in his journals, mainly for the sound that they would make. Arguably, no poet, with the possible exception of Dylan Thomas has done more with the sheer SOUND that words and patterns of words make. I've found that I like to note community names. In Colorado, travelling down from Ouray through mining country I ran across "Camp Bird Mine," and the more euphonious "Pandora," along with my personal favourite "Ophir." These are places that were built quickly, became famous, or notorous overnight, and died as quickly as they were born. The brothel and saloon to church or government building was often quite disproportionate. But what fascinating names they gave their towns! "Ophir" has wonderful biblical resonance, although I doubt the gospel never really took root there. I don't think there are even any residents left in this marvelously named town. My imagination gives "Pandora" a forbidden tabooed quality. One wonders just what came out of the mine once it was opened.

Here in southern New Mexico one can visit "Chloride, now largely deserted, and "Shakespeare." I'd like to think the latter was settled by English Majors, but I have no proof. Even "Truth or Consequences" where I've spent a few days, has a wonderful "Old West" resonance. Perhaps Judge Roy Bean or Wyatt Earp meted out justice on the dusty streets of "T or C." Alas, my romantic memories are more exciting than the truth. The town sold itself out in order to get a mention on a TV game show and an anual visit from Ralph Edwards. Hell, he may STILL visit. They have their fiesta in May, which I've never made. Is he even alive anymore? Perhaps the trot out his cryogenically preserved body. Looking at many of the residents of "T or C" I'm not convinced many of them haven't been dead for many years as it is....

Over the years I've been known to detour miles out of the way to visit a place with an interesting name. Somewhere there's a picture of me taken in "Smut Eye, Alabama." Its one of the the things that makes travel interesting. None, though, ever sounds as beautiful as the name of home. So after pulling up stakes here in the next few days, I look forward to a return to "Almon, Georgia."

No comments: